Philip P. Garrett, DPM, FACFAS
Philip Garrett, DPM, FACFAS, is an Alexandria, Virginia-based podiatrist, serving patients at Landmark Foot and Ankle Center.
Dr. Garrett graduated from Miami University, in Oxford, Ohio, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1991. He then graduated Magna Cum Laude from Chicago’s William Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine. Recognized for his dedication and potential in the field of podiatric medicine and surgery, Dr. Garrett was awarded several scholarships, including the Philip Brachman and the Durlacher Honors Scholarships.
In 1995, Dr. Garrett was accepted into the Illinois Masonic Medical Center Residency program for a 36 month period for his surgical and medical training. Located in inner city Chicago as a level 1 trauma center, Dr. Garrett trained alongside general surgery, family practice, emergency room, and internal medicine residents serving as chief resident in his third year. He received extensive training in trauma, limb salvage, orthopedics and podiatric surgery. During his internship, Dr. Garrett completed certification programs for Advanced Lower Extremity Wound Care and focused on the insensate foot, Internal Fixation specific to ankle and foot surgery, and ankle and foot arthroscopy.
Dr. Garrett has gained extensive knowledge in all areas of podiatry over his 18-plus year career. Most notably, Dr. Garrett is known for his advanced skills in the areas of reconstructive foot and ankle surgery, diabetic foot care, trauma, pediatric foot and ankle disorders, sports medicine, wound healing, and general podiatric care. In 2016, Dr. Garrett was recognized by his peers as a leader in the Washington area in Podiatric Medicine by selecting him as one of the Top Doctors by Washingtonian Magazine.
As an educator, Dr. Garrett serves on staff at INOVA Fairfax Hospital’s Podiatric Residency Program of Northern Virginia, where he mentors the next generation of foot and ankle care specialists. He is published in several peer reviewed medical journals for his research in the conditions including the surgical correction of hallux limitus, skin grafting in complex wound care patients, new technology for hammertoe correction and he is currently serving as the principal investigator for a prospective study on the treatment of venous leg ulcers with human skin allograft.
Dr. Garrett is board certified in foot surgery as a fellow in the esteemed American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. He is also a diplomate in the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery and the American College of Wound Management.
Dr. Garrett has resided in Alexandria since 1998 with his wife and two children. In addition to spending time with his family, Dr. Garrett is an avid health, fitness, and sports fan. He remains active in the local community and local schools. He feels that it is truly a gift to be able to help people in pain return to normal healthy lives.
LANDMARK FOOT & ANKLE CENTER, P.C.
Incorporated July 16, 1999, Alexandria, VA.
Private practice – August 1, 1999 to present.
INOVA MT. VERNON WOUND HEALING CENTER
Podiatric Surgical consultant – September, 2001 to present.
INOVA FAIRFAX PODIATRIC SURGICAL RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Surgical attending physician for resident training – 2007 to present
INOVA ALEXANDRIA HOSPITAL
4320 Seminary Rd., Alexandria, VA 22304
Appointed To Medical Staff -- December 2, 1998
Current Status: Active Staff
INOVA MT. VERNON HOSPITAL
2501 Parkers Ln., Alexandria, VA 22306
Appointed To Medical Staff – October 7, 1998
Current Status: Active Staff
Podiatric Surgery Section Chief – February, 2001 to present.
HARBOR HEIGHTS SURGERY CENTER
Board Member, 2017 to present
6710 Oxon Hill Rd., Suite 500
Oxon Hill, MD 20745
CAREFIRST BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD
Professional advisory panel – 2000 to present.
NEXTREMITY SOLUTIONS, INC
Professional consultant – 2014 to present
Professional consultant – 2016 to present
WILLIAM M. SCHOLL COLLEGE OF PODIATRIC MEDICINE, Chicago, IL.
Degree of Doctor of Podiatric Medicine May of 1995 -- Magna Cum Laude
Degree of Bachelor of Science in Biology May of 1995 -- Magna Cum Laude
Durlacher National Podiatry Honor Society -- 1995
MIAMI UNIVERSITY, Oxford OH.
Degree of Bachelor of Arts in Zoology awarded in May of 1991.
ILLINOIS MASONIC MEDICAL CENTER, Chicago, IL.
Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency -- 1995-1998.
Chief Resident – 1997-1998.
ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY OF THE FOOT AND ANKLE
Advanced training in foot and ankle arthroscopy -- Chicago, IL, 1997.
Advanced training in external fixation and Truelok fixation system.
Key Biscayne, FL, 2009
GILLIS W. LONG HANSEN’S DISEASE CENTER, Carville, LA.
A division of the National Institutes of Public Health.
Advanced training in management of wounds associated with the insensate foot -- 1995.
ZIMMER BIOMET, Warsaw, IN
ZB MidAtlantic US Surgeon ESV, Total Ankle Replacement -- 2018
AMERICAN BOARD OF FOOT AND ANKLE SURGERY
Board Certified Foot Surgery, August 1, 2001, recertified 2010 and 2020.
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF WOUND MANAGEMENTCertified Wound Specialist – Board certified April 26, 2003, recertified 2013.
“Prospective Randomized Multicenter Comparative Effictiveness Study Comparing; Two Component Modular Digital Impalnt Versus K-wire Fixation For Surgical Correction of Hammertoes” Pending publication. 2015. Jay, R, Landsman, A, Huish, j, Zelen, C, Garrett, P, Trepal, M, Hopsen, M, Lang, A, Malay, S.
“Retrospective Study of 188 Patients Treated With A Bioactive Allograft (TheraSkin) For Diabetic Foot & Venous Leg Ulcers.” Foot and Ankle Specialist 4(1): 29-41. 2011. Landsman, A., Cook, J., Cook, E., Landsman, A., Garrett, P., Yoon, J., Kirkwood, A.
“The Modified Hohmann Osteotomy: An Alternative Joint Salvage Procedure For Hallux Rigidus.” Journal Foot and Ankle Surgery 43(6):380-394.2004. Gonzalez, JV, Garrett, PP, Jordan, MJ, Reilly, CH.
"Gait Evaluation in Newly Diagnosed Rheumatoid Patients With the Use of Functionally Posted and Placebo Foot Orthoses," Journal of Rheumatology: in conjunction with Elly Budiman-Mak, M.D., Hines V.A. Hospital, Chicago, IL, 1993.
Follow up study on: "Articular Contact Characteristics of the Ankle and Chopart's Joints With Subtalar Joint Fusion," Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association: in conjunction with Rodney Stuck, D.P.M., Loyola University Medical Center and Hines V.A. Hospital, 1992.
WIL Research Inc. -- Ashland, OH, Assistant Laboratory Technician, Summer, 1988.
Animal maintenance and Teratology studies of Rattus sp. and Lepus sp.
Illinois Masonic Medical Center – August, 1997.
- “A Comparison Of Types Of Internal Fixation On The Modified Hohmann Osteotomy Of The First Metatarsal.” Journal Foot and Ankle Surgery: in conjunction with Charles Reilly, D.P.M., F.A.C.F.A.S., Illinois Masonic Medical Center and Adam Landsman, D.P.M., Ph.D., Dr. Wm. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine -- $4800.00.
American Diabetes Association -- February, 1995.
- “A three year prospective and cost analysis study of various wound care products used in the treatment of diabetic ulcers” -- $198,704.00
- American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons – Fellow, 1998-present.
- American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery – Diplomat, 1998-present.
- Virginia Podiatric Medical Association – Member, 1998-present.
- American Podiatric Medical Association -- Member, 1995-present.
- American Academy of Wound Management – Diplomat, 2003-present.
Dong M. Kim, DPM, FACFAS
Dong Kim, DPM, FACFAS, is an esteemed podiatrist at Landmark Foot and Ankle Center, located in Alexandria, Virginia.
Dr. Kim graduated from Penn State University in 2006 with a dual degree in Kinesiology and Economics. He went on to graduate from the Temple University of Podiatric Medicine in 2011. During his schooling, he was a part of several research teams including the Gait Lab at Penn State, the Gait Lab at Temple University, and the Biomechanics lab at the University of Southern California School of Physical Therapy. He worked on research looking at Adult Acquired Flatfoot, orthotics in women in the military, and prevention of stress fractures.
Dr. Kim then went onto residency training at Inova Fairfax Medical Campus and completed a 3-year Forefoot and Reconstructive Ankle and Rearfoot Surgical residency. He received extensive training in forefoot and rearfoot surgery, arthroscopy, diabetic limb salvage, foot and ankle trauma, external fixation, and plastic surgery. He served as Chief resident for the Podiatric Surgery team as well as Chief resident for the Georgetown Limb Salvage team. He was also fortunate to have spent time in Tuba City, Arizona on a Native American Reservation performing foot and ankle surgery with an emphasis on trauma.
Currently, Dr. Kim is an attending physician for the Inova Fairfax Podiatric Residency program. He is a part of the Mt. Vernon and Fairfax Wound Healing Centers where he treats all forms of lower extremity wounds. He has a special interest in diabetic limb salvage, foot and ankle trauma, and minimally invasive surgery. He strives to stay current on the latest technologies and research to be able to give his patients the best possible outcomes.
Currently, Dr. Kim resides in Falls Church, Virginia, with his wife and son. They are both big Philadelphia and Penn State sports fans. Dr. Kim feels honored to be able to help people achieve a better quality of life.
- Landmark Foot and Ankle Center, PC
- July 1, 2014- Present
- INOVA Alexandria Hospital (4320 Seminary Rd, Alexandria, VA 22304)
- INOVA Mount Vernon Hospital (2501 Parkers Ln, Alexandria, VA 22306)
- Habor Heights Surgical Center (125 Potomac Passage #200, Oxon Hill, MD 20745)
- Landmark Foot and Ankle Center (5249 Duke Street, Suite 212, Alexandria Va 22304)
- INOVA Wound Center (Mount Vernon Hospital)
- INOVA Wound Center (Fairfax Hospital)
- Adult Daycare Center (5300 Shawnee Road, Suite 101, Alexandria Va 22312)
- Residency: INOVA Fairfax Medical Campus - 2011- 2014 Falls Church, VA
- PM&S 36 Credentials in Podiatric Surgery with added credentials in reconstructive rearfoot and ankle surgery
- Graduate: Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine, 2007-2011, Philadelphia, PA
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
- Undergraduate: Pennsylvania State University, 2002 - 2006, University Park, PA
- BS Kinesiology, BA Economics
- Certified in Foot Surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery®
- Certified in Reconstructive Rearfoot /Ankle Surgery by the American Board
of Foot and Ankle Surgery®
- Chief Resident of INOVA Fairfax Podiatric Surgery Residency Program.
- Chief Resident of Limb Salvage team at Georgetown University Hospital Plastic Surgery and Limb Salvage Center.
- Resident at Indian Health Services in Tuba City, AZ.
- Resident of KaIser Mid-Atlantic Medical group Podiatric Surgery Clinic.
- University of Southern California -- 2008 (Los Angles, CA)
- Research Assistant - Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Lab
- Brandywine Family Footcare -- 2007 (Coatesville, PA)
- Staff Assistant
- Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine -- 2007 (Philadelphia, PA)
- Research Lab/Gait Lab
- ACFAS - Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy - Chicago, Il, 2014
- AAFAO - Advanced Techniques in Skeletal Fixation of Foot and Ankle - Memphis, TN - 2014
- AONA - Basic Techniques in Skeletal Fixation of Foot and Ankle - New Orleans, LA - 2013
- "Assessing the Use of Ex-Fix For Offloading in Diabetic Limb Salvage." Podiatry Today, February 2012, 25(2) 22-26
- "Women With Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction Have Diminished Ankle and Hip Muscle Performance." Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy September 2011, 41(9) 687-694
- "Orthobiologics" INOVA Fairfax Hospital Podiatry Grand Rounds (Nov. 2012)
- "Unstable Lateral Malleolar Fractures" INOVA Fairfax Hospital Grand Rounds (July 2012)
- "Perioperative pain Management" INOVA Fairfax Hospital Grand Rounds (May 2012)
- "Tendon Ruptures: Anterior Tibial Tendon" INOVA Fairfax Hospital Podiatry Grand Rounds (Nov 2011)
- "Central Metatarsal Osteotomies" INOVA Fairfax Hospital Podiatry Grand Rounds (Sept 2011)
- Pi Delta National Podiatric Honor Society (2011)
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges (2011)
- Temple University of Podiatric Medicine Merit Scholarship (2007-2008)
- Dean's List- Pennsylvania State University (2005-2006)
Jamie Buker - Office Manager, Surgery Coordinator, Billing Assistant, X-Ray Tech
Samantha Yost - Billing Manager, X-ray Tech
Casie Pace - Front Office Manager, X-Ray Tech, Orthotic, I-Walk 2.0 Tech, Diabetic Shoe Tech
Cindy Hernandez - Front Office
Lucy Joya - Front Office